Understand the risk of terminating a construction contract and why it is a last resort.
Sometimes your only option is to terminate the construction contract on a project. Perhaps every chance at dispute resolution has failed. Maybe the material breaches by one party will never be resolved by remedies or damages recoverable under the contract, or maybe subcontractor liens on the project have caused irreconcilable differences between the owner and general contractor. Whatever the reason prompting termination of a construction contract, there are important legal issues and considerations to keep in mind. Termination, after all, affects everyone on the project. This course will address contract termination from the perspective of owners, developers, contractors, and design professionals. First, we will discuss the risk of terminating a construction contract and why it is legally a last resort. Second, we will look at contract clauses and terms that specify termination rights and remedies. Finally, we will conclude the program by identifying the best way to terminate a construction contract. The material will offer some case examples to consider with familiar circumstances to all working in the construction industry.
Richard G. (Rick) Erickson
Snell & Wilmer L.L.P.
- Partner in the office of Snell & Wilmer, L.L.P. (https://www.swlaw.com/people/rick_erickson)
- Practice emphasizes all aspects of construction law
- Conducts regular seminars and workshops on numerous topics relating to construction litigation and transactions
- Author of many publications related to construction law and commercial litigation
- Past chair, State Bar Executive Council for Construction Law; Affiliate Affairs Committee, Associated General Contractors; fellow, American Bar Foundation; Arizona Builders Alliance; Maricopa County Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- J.D. degree, University of The Pacific; B.S. degree, University of Arizona
- Can be contacted at [email protected], 602-382-6540, or https://www.linkedin.com/in/rick-erickson-9510794
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.