Fraud can occur in the best of organizations, but those with effective controls should be able to detect it in a timely manner.
Many companies do not have sound policies and procedures. Even those who do, do not always look for controls in those procedures, or understand the link between sound, workable internal controls and deterring fraud. Companies should have a written internal control policy. In many cases, it is written, approved and put on a shelf and not effectively used. An effective internal control policy should become a mindset that every employee is aware of and knows its importance. Fraud can occur in the best of organizations, but those with effective controls should be able to detect it in a timely manner. Effective policies do help to deter fraud and there are red flags that employers and auditors can look for to help detect fraud.
Karen McMurray, CPA, CFE, CICA, CGMA
Blackburn, Childers & Steagall, PLC
- Retired partner in the office of Blackburn, Childers & Steagall, PLC
- Practice emphasizes all aspects of audit, particularly governmental and not-for-profit, also a certified fraud examiner
- The firm conducts an annual accounting, auditing and tax update in which she has been a regular speaker; she has also been a previous presenter for Lorman
- Membership information: CPA, certified fraud examiner (CFE), certified internal controls auditor (CICA), and a CGMA
- B.S. degree, East Tennessee State University
- Can be contacted at 423-282-4511 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.