Understand the purpose and importance of legal citation, accurate and careful attention to resources, precedent and format stylesParalegals must be diligent in their review and validation of sources when citing case law and statutes in legal briefs, law review articles or in any legal analysis.
Proper citations aim not only to support legal precedents; they also serve as a convenient reference to sources relied upon for a legal argument and attribute appropriate credit, particularly for copyrighted material, legal cases, statutes and rules. We will review US courts, local rules, standardization and reliability, as well as discuss how to navigate The Bluebook efficiently and interpret the sources and their precedent. This course will guide you in presenting the most relevant legal authority with clear and accurate references that can prevent costly mistakes due to oversight or missing sources or evidence.
Ashley Ames Ahlbrand
Indiana University Maurer School of Law
- Associate Director for Public Services, Associate Librarian & Adjunct Lecturer in law, Indiana University Maurer School of Law
- J.D., William & Mary School of Law; M.L.S., Indiana University School of Library & In-formation Science; Graduate Certificate in Information Systems Technology, Indiana Uni-versity School of Education; B.A. English Literature, College of William & Mary
- Teaches advanced legal research courses every fall, spring, and summer; courses in-clude a survey-style approach that covers a variety of prominent legal research tasks, as well as specialty research courses in business and tax research as well as research for advocacy
- Regularly provides guest lectures and presentations on legal research for a variety of audiences, including law school courses, clinical and legal aid organizations, and CLE programs for attorneys and paralegals
- Has written several publications related to legal research and writing, including a co-written book for Carolina Academic Press, Indiana Legal Research; and a chapter on scholarly impact and citation count in academic legal scholarship in The Role of Citation in the Law
- Named a 2021 Emerging Leader by the American Association of Law Libraries; Past President, Ohio Regional Association of Law Libraries
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.