Stay compliant with federal and state laws and regulations related to issuing e-prescriptions.
Electronic prescribing or e-Prescribing (the process of entering a prescription for medication into an automated data entry system) has been credited with reducing medical errors, improving workflow, increasing patient safety, and promoting drug price transparency. Despite these benefits, e-Prescribing carries certain legal and regulatory compliance risks. Information contained in an e-prescription is considered Protected Health Information under HIPAA, and providers must hold their Business Associates (including pharmacies and e-Prescribing vendors) accountable to safeguard this information. With e-Prescribing for controlled substances now required by some states and under Medicare Part D, some industry stakeholders fear that federal and state regulations are outpacing the ability of providers to successfully and safely follow them. This topic will cover the benefits of leveraging e-Prescribing, as well as how to stay compliant with federal and state laws and regulations related to issuing e-prescriptions, as well as implementing strong privacy and security controls to manage cybersecurity threats.
Alaap B. Shah, J.D., MPH
Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Assisted numerous clients with investigation, response, and reporting of data breaches and ransomware attacks
- Featured in AHLA Connections Magazine Member Spotlight for June 2022 - https://www.ebglaw.com/insights/alaap-shah-featured-in-ahla-connections-magazine-member-spotlight/
- Presented on Data Governance and Artificial Intelligence to the OCR/NIST HIPAA Summit in 2019 - https://www.nist.gov/system/files/documents/2019/10/15/1-6-dg-and-ai-in-healthcare-shah.pdf
- Published on Recognized Security Practices in the Context of Data Breach Enforcement, National Law Review
- Served on Planning Committee for AHLA’s Health Care Data Program in 2022, American Health Law Association
- Published on Data Breaches and HIPAA Enforcement Trends, JDSupra
Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Associate in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the Washington, D.C., office of Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Focuses her practice on health care compliance; telehealth and telemedicine; privacy, cybersecurity, and data asset management; and government investigations and litigation
- Counsels clients on compliance with HIPAA privacy and security rules and other relevant privacy laws, rules, and regulations regarding protected health information and assists clients with legal issues related to big data analytics and digital health strategies
- Contributing author of Epstein Becker Green’s Telemental Health Laws app, a comprehensive survey of state telehealth laws, regulations, and policies for mental and behavioral health practitioners and stakeholders across all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.