Learn how to address and negotiate the unique issues that arise in build-to-suit leases.
Build-to-suit leases present different issues from typical leases of existing space and buildings. In most leases, the building is already in place, and the additional required work to prepare the premises for the tenant's use consists of mostly interior improvements or will be undertaken by the tenant itself. In a build-to-suit lease, the building may not yet be constructed, or the landlord will take on substantial work to renovate significant portions of the property and the building to accommodate the particular tenant's use, or the landlord will be solely responsible for all interior improvements and the risks as to the cost of the same. The parties are sometimes working from preliminary plans in negotiating the development of the space or the entire site. Build-to-suit tenants are often seeking to take space to meet a key business need or to consolidate functions, and as a result, the timing of completion is critical. As a result, the parties need to clearly understand the factors which could affect the timeline for construction, completion, and occupancy. During the COVID-19 pandemic, certain construction and permitting impacts were experienced as well as the potential for changed needs. This topic will address some of the key elements necessary to assure that the unique issues of build-to-suit leases are adequately addressed in the lease and the negotiations leading to the lease.
Kenneth S. Kramer
- More than 35 years of experience as a real estate attorney
- Advises major regional developers and investors with diversified portfolios on a full spectrum of office, industrial, recreational, and retail property transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions, leasing, financing, joint ventures, workouts, and alternative energy transactions
- Leasing experience includes: build-to-suit office lease for approximately 150,000 square foot tenant with expansion rights, build-to-suit lease of distribution and office facility of approximately 175,000 square foot project; build-to-suit lease for 400,000 square foot warehouse and distribution facility, and a recent lease renewing, expanding and renovating two office buildings with renovation of common areas and the addition of a third build-to-suite R&D building to the campus (the latter transaction was completed during the COVID-19 pandemic and required modification of the financial structure for improvements)
- Lectures on leasing transactions, build-to-suit leases, and other real estate topics
- Former chair of Nossaman’s Real Estate Transactions Practice Group, and is the current assistant managing partner of Nossaman
- J.D. degree, University of Southern California School of Law; B.A. degree, University of Pennsylvania
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.