Stay up to speed on the tax issues and integration issues that can occur after a merger or acquisition deal.
In mergers and acquisitions, much attention is devoted by the parties (pre-closing) to the benefits of the transaction and how the transaction should be structured. Often, however, problems arise after the acquisition is completed that can undercut the anticipated benefits of the transaction, or at least make a smooth, integrated transition more difficult. This topic will focus on, among other things, how a deal structure can influence post-closing issues, including continuity of interest for tax purposes, what problems may arise post-closing, how the acquisition agreement's provisions may affect post-closing matters, and how generally to anticipate problems following completion of the acquisition. In addition, the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on closing conditions will be discussed in view of current, pending litigation in Delaware that has received significant national attention.
Michael D. Waters
Jones Walker LLP
- Partner in the Birmingham, Alabama office of Jones Walker LLP
- Practiced in the corporate and securities area, primarily for financial institutions, for more than 35 years, representing banks, bank holding companies, and other financial entities in acquisitions, capital raising transactions, SEC and shareholder issues, new bank formations, and board fiduciary duty issues
- Advised buyers and sellers in approximately 120 bank mergers and acquisitions, ranging from small community banks to the acquisition of a $34 billion holding company
- Recognized in Chambers USA, banking, and finance annually since 2013
- Recognized by Alabama Super Lawyers annually since 2008 for work in the banking and securities and corporate finance area
- Named by Best Lawyers in America annually since 1995 for work in the area of banking and finance law, corporate law, and financial services regulation law
- J.D. degree, University of Alabama School of Law; M.A. degree, Rhodes Scholar, Oxford University; B.A. degree, Duke University
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.