Gain a better understanding of the complex zoning and land use issues associated with the marijuana industry.
With an increasing number of states now legalizing marijuana businesses, either for adult recreational use or for medical use, even as marijuana remains a Schedule I drug federally, questions proliferate about how local governments fit into the picture. The potential tension between state regulation and local land use regulatory authority differs from state to state and remains very much in flux. Some states explicitly provide for broad local authority to regulate marijuana land uses, others impose significant restraints, while still others restrict local regulatory action while otherwise preserving local authority to regulate land use. This topic will help persons responsible for zoning and land use issues become familiar with this new landscape and understand how to address common issues that arise in zoning state-legal marijuana operations. The material will also explain some of the state/federal conflict and preemption issues that are still being sorted out by Congress and the courts. This topic is useful for anyone who is involved in a marijuana business or its related zoning and land use concerns.
Travis J. McDermott
Partridge Snow & Hahn LLP
- Partner, Partridge Snow & Hahn LLP, Providence, RI
- Primary practice areas include commercial litigation, bank and insurance regulatory practice, and cannabis business licensing, financing, and entity formation
- Author of numerous articles on insurance law, commercial disputes, and cannabis legalization
- Co-author of monthly Cannabis Law blog
- Presenter on RI cannabis licensing & regulation and on marijuana business financing
- Admitted to practice in RI, MA, NY
- J.D. degree, Pepperdine University School of Law
- Can be contacted at 401-861-8217 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.