Navigate the tricky legal maze and ensure you meet privacy obligations for your customers, employees, and the general public.
The last few decades have seen an exponential increase in the amount of personal information of the average American that is collected, stored, transmitted, and used by businesses, government agencies, hospitals, educational and financial institutions, social media organizations, advertisers and others. The need to balance an organization's or business's right to use the data against the individual's right to privacy has resulted in a variety of laws and regulations.
This topic will outline the rules related to privacy that Texas businesses must comply with, specifically including federal statutes such as HIPAA, FERPA and GLB, as well as Texas state laws such as the Medical Record Privacy Act, the Identity Theft Enforcement and Protection Act, and the provisions of the 2011 Texas Legislature's House Bill 300. It will also highlight laws of other jurisdictions that might be applicable to Texas business, such as the CCPA and GDPR, due to having employees or customers who are residents of other states or countries.
Jeffery P. Drummond
Jackson Walker L.L.P.
- Partner in the health care section of Jackson Walker L.L.P. (Dallas, Texas office)
- Represents hospitals, physicians and physician groups, other health care providers, and health care technology companies
- Regularly advises clients regarding compliance with health care, pharmaceutical, and tax exemption laws and regulations, including the federal Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute
- Frequent speaker on medical record privacy and security issues, HIPAA, and cybersecurity
- Has maintained a blog, since 2002, on HIPAA and other medical records matters at www.hipaablog.blogspot.com
- Adjunct professor of health law, Naveen Jindal School of Management at The University of Texas at Dallas
- J.D. degree, The University of Texas; B.A. degree, University of Dallas
- Can be contacted at 214-953-6000 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.