Learn the necessary considerations to define, execute, and implement an appropriate succession plan for a client.
Whether a business owner is ready or not to move on, the manner to effectuate a successful transfer is based on a similar identifiable process. This topic provides an outline of the considerations necessary to define, execute, and implement an appropriate succession plan for a client.
The process begins with a discussion of the transferor's motivations when transferring property, whether by choice or due to unforeseen events, what to have in place in the event of a desired transfer or a forced transfer, how to value the business for transfer, and concludes with an examination of the critical tax rules implicated by the transfer.
Lastly, the method of transfer can be affected by a number of factors. We will discuss which type of transfer works best in which situations, how to assure the business owner and their family can financially and personally weather the transfer, and what the estate planning and tax consequences are of a properly or improperly executed succession plan.
Jennifer V. Abelaj
Jennifer V. Abelaj Law Firm
- Principal at Jennifer V. Abelaj Law Firm
- Skilled private client attorney with extensive experience in a variety of tax, estate, and philanthropic planning matters for domestic and international high-net-worth individuals and not-for-profit organizations
- Can be contacted at [email protected], 646-885-1330, abelajlaw.com, or on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/in/jenniferabelaj/
Handler Thayer, LLP
- Senior counsel at Handler Thayer, LLC
- Seasoned estate planning, probate, and business attorney focused on wealth preservation and transfer as well as taxation issues for family offices, ultra-high-net-worth business owners
- Can be contacted at [email protected], 312-960-3142, or on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/in/ninastillman/
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.