Make sure you are in compliance with the Federal Trade Commission requirements on 'Made in USA' labeling and avoid costly litigation.
For a variety of reasons, the past two decades have seen an increase in businesses advertising that their products are 'Made in the USA.' While such advertising can be effective, for the unwary, it can be dangerous. Indeed, the United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the governmental agency that primarily regulates such claims, has brought a variety of actions against companies for deceptively or misleadingly advertising that their products are 'Made in the USA.' Such claims can also frequently lead to private class action litigation, requiring businesses to fight a two-front war. Thankfully, the FTC has also developed a series of guidelines for businesses to follow if they want to make a claim that their products are 'Made in the USA.' If your company or your clients are making such claims, this topic will help you learn the rules to avoid costly and expensive investigations and litigation.
Stephen R. Freeland
- Partner in the Advertising and Marketing, and Class Action Defense practice groups of Venable LLP
- Assists clients with advertising substantiation investigations and litigations, and inquiries from the FTC and state AGs; he also counsels clients on legal compliance, including compliance with the TCPA, the FTC’s Telemarketing Sales Rule, the Restore Online Shoppers’ Confidence Act (or ROSCA) as well as intellectual property protection strategies; defends clients in telemarketing and false advertising litigation, FTC enforcement actions, complex consumer class actions, and trademark, trade dress, patent and copyright infringement cases; prosecutes false advertising and intellectual property cases in business-to-business disputes
- Recognized by Super Lawyers as a Washington D.C. Rising Star, 2014 – 2018
- J.D. degree, magna cum laude, George Mason University School of Law; B.A. degrees in both criminal justice and sociology, summa cum laude, Marymount University
- Can be contacted at 202-344-4837 and [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.