Learn drafting and implementation principles that will facilitate the application of form-based codes.
Responding to the shortcomings of conventional zoning tools in shaping development outcomes, communities are increasing turning to form-based codes. Form-based codes offer a predictable and streamlined path to entitling walkable, mixed-use communities and encouraging reinvestment in urban areas. Because they are different than conventional, Euclidean zoning, form-based codes pose a variety of implementation challenges. Are these codes legal in my state? Are they grounded in established police power principles? What administrative challenges will my community face, and how do those compare to discretionary zoning practices? This topic will provide drafting and implementation principles that will facilitate the implementation of form-based codes, or the identification of effective alternatives to form-based codes.
White & Smith, LLC
- Partner in the office of White & Smith, LLC
- Practice emphasizes land use and zoning, focusing on code development and drafting
- Completed over 150 development code updates, zoning regulations, and comprehensive plan/smart growth implementation projects for local governments in over 36 states
- Conducts regular seminars and workshops on numerous zoning and development codes, from comprehensive rewrites to specific types of updates (such as sign codes)
- Author of numerous publications related to codes, zoning and urban planning
- His articles have appeared in a variety of notable publications, including the American Planning Association’s Planning Advisory Service, the American Bar Association’s Urban Lawyer, the International Municipal Attorneys Association’s Municipal Lawyer, and the United Kingdom’s Transport Policy
- Member of Missouri Bar, American Institute of Certified Planners, Congress for the New Urbanism, and International Municipal Lawyers Assocation
- J.D. and M.A. degrees of urban and regional planning, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- Can be contacted at [email protected] or 816-221-8700
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.