Better understand how to implement strategies that are compliant with federal and state wage payment regulations for final paychecks.
Employers face an often-treacherous landscape of legal and practical challenges related to final wage payments, ranging from complex and varied timing requirements to divergent rules about what amounts must be included or what (if any) deductions can be made. These problems are particularly acute for multi-state employers, who must navigate an overwhelming array of technical rules about how to pay departing employees. And the penalties for getting it wrong can be significant and costly, as final pay errors can result in legal liability, sometimes in the form of class or collective actions. This course will provide you with an overview of the legal requirements relating to final pay obligations, coupled with practical guidance about how to best calculate final wages in a timely manner. Explore common pitfalls relating to final pay - including issues concerning paid time off and vacation, bonuses and other incentive compensation, and deductions. In addition, the material will provide you with tools to help understand final pay requirements, and discuss best practices to avoid liability.
Philippe A. Lebel
Proskauer Rose, LLP
- Senior Counsel, Proskauer Rose, LLP (Los Angeles)
- Represents employers across a wide array of industries in all aspects of employment litigation, including wage and hour, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, defamation, and breach of contract litigation, in both the single-plaintiff and class-, collective- and representative-action context; in particular, he has experience litigating complex class and representative actions involving allegations relating to final pay obligations
- Devotes a substantial portion of his practice to counseling employers on compliance with wage and hour laws, including final pay issues, and has assisted employers with payroll audits that seek to identify and address issues relating to payroll compliance, including final pay calculation, timing, and methods of payment
- Regularly speaks on emerging issues for employers and has been published or quoted in Law360, the Daily Journal, The Hollywood Reporter, Business Insurance, and SHRM.org regarding a variety of employment law topics
- Recognized by Chambers USA in 2021 and was selected by Best Lawyers in America as among its Ones to Watch in both 2021 and 2022
- Can be contacted at 310-284-4558, [email protected], or www.proskauer.com/professionals/philippe-lebel
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.