Understand the importance of having a current and appropriate estate plan in place and avoid potential issues that may be encountered.
Many military personnel and their families are unaware of the complex issues they may confront due to frequent changes of assignment and differences in state laws. They may not understand the difference between domicile and home of record and the role it plays in their estate planning. This topic will alert you to the types of issues they may encounter and the importance of having a current and appropriate estate plan in place, both for them and for their families. You will be able to assess the family's situation and identify the actions to be taken to ensure they and their families are protected should something unfortunate and unforeseen occur.
Jerry E. Shiles
Parman & Easterday
- Managing member of the Oklahoma City law firm of Parman & Easterday, with offices in Tulsa, Shawnee, and Enid, Oklahoma; Kansas City, Missouri; and Overland Park, Kansas
- Practice is concentrated in the areas of elder law and Medicaid, estate planning, probate, and trust administration
- For over 40 years, he has lectured extensively to professional groups in the United States, Europe, and Japan and has published numerous articles and treatises
- Lecturer to military JA officers at the Army Judge Advocate General School and the Naval Justice School, and to Air Force JA officers in Europe and the United States
- Co-author of the Oklahoma Bar Association’s Family Law Section Practice Manual and the book Estate Planning Basics: A Crash Course in Safeguarding Your Legacy, published originally in 2007 and updated most recently in 2019
- Member of the Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, Nevada, and District of Columbia Bar Associations; the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys; the American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys; the Oklahoma City Tax Lawyers Association; the Planned Giving Council of Oklahoma; and the American Bar Association; former member of the ABA Standing Committee on Legal Assistance to Military Personnel and the Frankfurt (Germany) American Bar Association; and a certified VA advisor
- Fellow of the American Academy of Elder Law Attorneys; recipient of the IRS Certificate of Recognition, Department of Defense Distinguished Civilian Service Award and Legion of Merit, ABA Distinguished Service Award, and Five Star Wealth Manager for Oklahoma
- Listed in Who’s Who in the Leadership of the United States, Who’s Who of American Lawyers, Who’s Who of Executives and Professionals, AVVO top rated elder law attorney (10.0 Superb), and achieved the highest rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Retired Army Colonel
- LL.M. degree, The Judge Advocate General’s School-Army, University of Virginia; J.D. degree, with honors, University of Utah; M.S. degree in strategic planning, U.S. Army War College; B.S. degree, University of Nevada, Las Vegas; a certificate in German, University of Connecticut
- Can be contacted at 405-843-6100 and [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.