Understand the importance of having a safety committee in your workplace.
As more employers consider implementation of formal safety and health management systems, either voluntarily or to conform to some state OSHA regulatory requirements, methods of increasing employee involvement may present challenges. In a union workplace, the structure, implementation, and staffing of safety and health committees may require new bargaining, or could raise legal issues under the NLRA. In open shop workplaces, encouraging volunteerism may be a stumbling block. This material helps the persons responsible for safety and health management understand the role of employee empowerment in improving workplace safety performance. This topic will discuss utilization of safety and health committees, creating of labor/management audit teams, engagement of hourly workers in training and development of safe work practice protocols (e.g., JHA and toolbox talks). It will also explain how enhancing employee participant in safety activities is critical for companies that benchmark to ANSI and ISO standards, and how this can also benefit OSHA compliance.
Adele L. Abrams, Esq., ASP, CMSP
Law Office of Adele L. Abrams P.C.
- President, Law Office of Adele L. Abrams P.C.
- Represents employers in OSHA, MSHA, and other regulatory and employment law matters
- Instructs on employment law at University of Colorado and Catholic University of America; regular speaker at conferences of NSC, ASSP, and various trade and bar associations
- Co-author of textbooks: The Safety Professional’s Handbook and Construction Safety Management & Engineering (both published by ASSP)
- Member of NSC, ASSP, SHRM, American Bar Association, and a number of professional groups in mining and construction
- Admitted to practice before multiple state bars, federal courts, and the U.S. Supreme Court
- J.D. degree, George Washington University; B.S. degree, University of Maryland (in College Park)
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.