Learn the balance of fire design principles that can improve fire safety in buildings.
Structure fires and wildfires result in significant loss of life and property in the United States each year. In addition to the direct losses of fighting fires, such as relocating residents and rebuilding, large fire events can cause substantial indirect losses to communities. There has been an increase in single-family and multifamily structure fire losses partly due to the increased use of combustible construction methods. This presentation investigates the causes of these fires and provides balanced design recommendations using active and passive fire protection strategies.
Shamim Rashid-Sumar, PE, FSFPE
National Ready Mixed Concrete Association
- Vice President, Fire Codes and Standards, National Ready Mixed Concrete Association
- Registered Professional Fire Protection Engineer in the State of Delaware
- In her current role, Shamim works with National Model Building Codes and International Standards Organizations to advocate for noncombustible and resilient construction; she also provides technical support regarding codes, standards, regulations, and legislation at the national, state, and local level
- Active as an industry expert, speaking on technical topics such as the Balanced Approach to Fire Safety, Resiliency Considerations Beyond Code Requirements, and Wildfire Resilience; is also an NFPA 101 Life Safety Code Instructor
- Member of the ASTM E05 Fire Standards Technical Committee, member of ACI 216 Committee on Fire Resistance and Fire Protection of Structures and ACI 560 Committee on Design and Construction with Insulating Concrete Forms, and a principal member of several NFPA technical committees, including Technical Committees on Building Construction, Fire Protection Features, Residential Occupancies, Fire Tests, and Structures, Construction & Materials
- B.S. degree in fire protection engineering, with a minor citation in French language and cultures, University of Maryland College Park
- Can be contacted at [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
More Program Information
Access to all training products $699/year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.