Explore advanced topics in 1031 Deferred Exchanges and Opportunity Zones.
If tax law were music, 1031 exchanges and Opportunity Zones are the punk rock of the tax code. This session turns the volume up to eleven, going deep into complex 1031 structures: improvement exchanges, related party ground leases, reverse exchanges, and improvement exchanges. Property identification issues, constructive receipt, and real property/personal property issues are covered in the context of recent regulatory and judicial guidance. Opportunity Zones are compared and contrasted to 1031 exchanges with an emphasis on combining the strategies into one model. OZ qualifying property and QOZ/QOZB structures are discussed in detail. The encore features advanced 1031 topics like DSTs, TICs, Drop & Swaps, and recapture covered in real life examples.
Rob Nowak, CPA MST
Weaver and Tidwell LLP
- Partner at Weaver & Tidwell
- Trusted business advisor to hundreds of clients and friends in the real estate and construction industries. Building relationships based on open, honest communication, he has created impactful value through proactive tax planning, structuring, and consulting.
- Regular contributor to firm thought leadership and author of numerous articles published in third-party publications.
- Has spent considerable time speaking and writing about impactful changes in tax legislation.
- Has advised and consulted with the staff of Former US Representatives the of House Ways & Means Subcommittee on Tax Policy for the 115th Congress during the drafting of the 2017 Tax Cuts & Jobs Act.
- B.S. degree (with University Honors), Northern Illinois University; M.S. degree, DePaul University.
- Member of the Urban Land Institute, Associated General Contractors, Construction Financial Management Association, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Texas Society of CPA’s, Illinois CPA Society, Texas Real Estate Council, and National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts.
- Can be reached at [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.