Understand business valuation strategies, issues and challenges.
This topic is a great starting point for those seeking to learn about this hot, premium-priced service for clients. This topic is beneficial for both novices entering the field as well as seasoned professionals looking for a comprehensive review. This topic will elaborate upon the critical approaches used in valuation, the vetted research databases commonly employed by seasoned professionals, and the various types of reports issued by valuators. Whether advising their clients on estate and gift taxation, mergers and acquisitions, bankruptcy, or other commercial activities, financial professionals and attorneys are faced with having to understand and assess business valuation issues. For instance, many attorneys hire outside experts to assist them with their cases without fully understanding the methods and assumptions that these specialists utilize. Since the field of valuation is as much art as is science, the information provided in this material will equip attorneys and other financial professionals to ask the right questions to ensure the quality of the business valuation. Further, you will learn about to identify the existence of major pitfalls within the valuation reports themselves.
More Program Information
Business Valuation Engagement and Process
- Types of Engagements and the Overall Process
- Professional Standards
- Role of the SEC in Business Valuation
- Impact of Federal Regulation
Business Valuation Research
- Process of Data Gathering
- Types of Data Needed
- Publicly Traded Companies vs. Privately Held Companies
- Legal Documents Concerning Ownership
- Information Sources for Both Publicly Traded and Privately Held Companies
Primary Approaches to Business Valuation
- Discounted Cash Flow Method
- Market Method
- Asset Approach
Business Valuation Report Pitfalls
- Standard Business Valuation Report Guidelines
- Summary Reports, Calculation Reports, and Oral Reports
- Report Pitfalls
More Program Information
This course was last revised on October 13, 2020.
Call 1-866-352-9540 for further credit information.
- AR CLE 1.5
- This course has been approved for 1.5 hours of CLE by the Arkansas CLE Board.
- Arizona CLE 1.5
- The Arizona State Bar does not pre-approve or pre-certify MCLE programs. However, records of this program and attendance will be maintained by Lorman Education Services for auditing purposes. This activity may qualify for up to 1.5 hours toward your annual CLE requirement for the State Bar of Arizona.
- CA MCLE 1.5
- Lorman Business Center, LLC. is a State Bar of California approved MCLE sponsor and this course qualifies for 1.5 CLE hours of participatory credit.
- HI CLE 1.5
- This program was approved by the Hawaii State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE credit hours.
- IL CLE 1.5
- This course was approved for a total of 1.5 hours of MCLE Credit by the Illinois MCLE Board.
- MN CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 hours of credit.
- MO CLE 1.8
- This course qualifies for self-study CLE credit in Missouri.
- NH MCLE 1.5
- NH MCLE does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the NH Minimum CLE requirement. Lorman Education Services believes this Ondemand course meets the requirement of NH Supreme Court Rule 53 and may qualify for CLE credit(s). Program Length: 89 Minutes.
- NV CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Nevada Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE hours.
- PA CLE 1.5
- This Distance Learning program has been approved by the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 hours of substantive law, practice and procedure CLE credit.
- RI CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Rhode Island Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for 1.5 hours of CLE credit.
- VA CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Virginia Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 CLE credit hours.
- VT CLE 1.5
- This self-study program has been approved by the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board of Vermont for 1.5 hour(s) of CLE credit. Please note: Attorneys may only claim 12 credits per compliance period in this format. This course is considered "Non-Moderated Programming without Interactivity".
- WA CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Washington State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 hours of A/V credit under the Law & Legal Procedure category.
- WV MCLE 1.8
- This program has been approved by the West Virginia State Bar MCLE Commission for 1.8 MCLE hours.
- NALA 1.5
- This program is applicable for continuing legal assistant education credit. Please check with your accrediting board to see if this course will qualify towards your recertification requirements.
Program Length: 1.5 hour(s).
To earn each credit Lorman offers through the OnDemand learning platform, you need to watch 100% of the program. Also, for certain credits you will need to fulfill additional requirements which will be displayed on the "credits" tab when viewing the course.
Virginia MCLE requirements do not allow approval for programs that do not include an audio or audiovisual component.
This program was previously offered as a live webinar. Virginia MCLE requirements do not allow approval for attendance at duplicate programs.
This program does NOT qualify, nor meet the National Standard for NASBA accreditation.
More Program Information
Joel DiCicco, CPA, ICVS-A, BCA, CFF, PFS, CGMA
Florida Atlantic University
- Full-time faculty member at Florida Atlantic University’s College of Business Executive Programs where he teaches graduate-level accounting and finance courses
- Co-founder and partner at the Center for International Business Valuation (CfIBV), a global valuation, training, and consulting organization
- Specializes in the fair value of complex derivative instruments
- Member of the Florida Institute of CPAs’ Editorial Board Committee and the Accounting Principles and Auditing Standards Committee
- Credentialed in valuation (International Certified Valuation Specialist and Business Certified Appraiser), financial forensics (AICPA Certified in Financial Forensics), financial planning (AICPA Personal Financial Specialist), and management accounting (AICPA Chartered Global Management Accountant)
- Ph.D. degree focusing on public budgeting, finance, and tax policy; and a master's degrees in taxation and finance
- Can be contacted at 954-547-2908 or [email protected]
More Program Information
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- OnDemand Courses
- Live Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Access to all training products for one year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.