Gain an understanding on what the appropriate communication should be when outside of conferences.
With over 30 years of combined experience as Magistrate Judges in the Northern District of California, Hon. Maria-Elena James and Hon. Nandor Vadas provide insight into communicating with Chambers from a perspective of having seen it all. Generally speaking, the answer to the question, Should I communicate with the Judge outside of Conference?; will be No. But Judge James and Judge Vadas will provide guidelines on appropriate subjects, along with plenty of colorful background on when not to seek Ex Parte contact.
More Program Information
Observing Local Rules
ABA Rule 2.9 Ex Parte Communications
Appropriate Areas for Ex Parte Contact With Chambers
Settlement Conferences and Mediations
Post-Settlement Conference/Mediation Contact
More Program Information
This course was last revised on March 15, 2019.
Call 1-866-352-9540 for further credit information.
- AK CLE 1.5
- Alaska attorneys may receive 1.5 hours of continuing legal education for completing this program. Please contact the Alaska Bar Association or go to www.alaskabar.org for details regarding reciprocity with other states.
- AL CLE 1.5
- This course or a portion thereof has been approved by the Alabama State Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for a maximum of 1.5 hours credit.
- Arizona CLE 1.5
- The Arizona State Bar does not pre-approve or pre-certify MCLE programs. However, records of this program and attendance will be maintained by Lorman Education Services for auditing purposes. This activity may qualify for up to 1.5 hours toward your annual CLE requirement for the State Bar of Arizona.
- CA MCLE 1.5
- Lorman Business Center, LLC. is a State Bar of California approved MCLE sponsor and this course qualifies for 1.5 CLE hours of participatory credit.
- CO CLE 2.0
- Lorman Education Services is a Certified Provider, as recognized by the Colorado Supreme Court Continuing Legal and Judicial Education Committee. This program is approved for 2.0 credit hours.
- CT CLE 1.0
- Neither the Connecticut Judicial Branch nor the Commission on Minimum Continuing Legal Education approve or accredit CLE providers or activities. This course has been approved for CLE credit in jurisdictions aside from CT and therefore it automatically meets the content and delivery requirements in Connecticut. Credit is based on a 60 minute credit hour and shall be awarded as follows: 1.0 CLE credit(s).
- HI CLE 1.25
- This program was approved by the Hawaii State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.25 CLE credit hours.
- IL CLE 1.25
- This course was approved for a total of 1.25 hours of MCLE Credit by the Illinois MCLE Board.
- ME CLE 1.0
- This course has been approved by the State of Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar. Lawyers who complete this course shall receive 1.0 hours of CLE credit under M. Bar R. 12.
- MN CLE 1.25
- This program has been approved by the Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.25 hours of credit.
- MO CLE 1.8
- This course qualifies for self-study CLE credit in Missouri.
- MT CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Montana Commission of Continuing Legal Education for a total of 1.5 CLE credits.
- NC CLE 1.25
- This program has been approved by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.25 CLE hours.
- ND CLE 1.5
- North Dakota CLE policy does not allow for pre-approval of any self-study courses. This course may qualify for up to 1.5 hours of CLE credit.
- NH MCLE 1.5
- NH MCLE does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the NH Minimum CLE requirement. Lorman Education Services believes this course meets the requirement of NH Supreme Court Rule 53 and may qualify for CLE credit(s). Program Length: 90 Minutes.
- NM CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the New Mexico Minimum Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 hours of credit.
- NV CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Nevada Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE hours.
- NY CLE 1.5 including Areas of Professional Practice 1.5
- This course has been approved in accordance with the requirements of the New York Continuing Legal Education Board for up to a maximum of 1.5 credit hours in the area(s) of Areas of Professional Practice for 1.50 hours. Each hour may be counted only as satisfying one category of credit. Duplicate credit for the same hour of instruction is not permitted. This course qualifies for both established and newly admitted attorneys. Lorman Business Center, LLC. has a financial hardship guideline. Please contact customer service at 1.866.352.9539 for instructions on how to apply.
- OR CLE 1.5
- Approved for 1.5 CLE credits in Oregon.
- PA CLE 1.0
- This Distance Learning program has been approved by the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.0 hours of substantive law, practice and procedure CLE credit.
- RI CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Rhode Island Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for 1.5 hours of CLE credit.
- UT CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Utah State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE hours.
- VT CLE 1.5
- This self-study program has been approved by the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board of Vermont for 1.5 hour(s) of CLE credit. Please note: Attorneys may only claim 6 credits per compliance period in this format. This course is considered "Non-Moderated Programming without Interactivity".
- WA CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Washington State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 hours of A/V credit under the Law & Legal Procedure category.
- WV MCLE 1.8
- This program has been approved by the West Virginia State Bar MCLE Commission for 1.8 MCLE hours.
- NALA 1.45
- This program is applicable for continuing legal assistant education credit. Please check with your accrediting board to see if this course will qualify towards your recertification requirements.
Program Length: 1.45 hour(s).
To earn each credit Lorman offers through the OnDemand learning platform, you need to watch 100% of the program. Also, for certain credits you will need to fulfill additional requirements which will be displayed on the "credits" tab when viewing the course.
Virginia MCLE requirements do not allow approval for programs that do not include an audio or audiovisual component.
This program was previously offered as a live webinar. Virginia MCLE requirements do not allow approval for attendance at duplicate programs.
This program does NOT qualify, nor meet the National Standard for NASBA accreditation.
More Program Information
ADR SERVICES, Inc.
Hon. Maria-Elena James
- Served on the bench for a remarkable thirty years, first as a Civil and Family Law Commissioner with the San Francisco Superior Court, and later for twenty-four years as a United States Magistrate Judge with the Northern District of California
- Further served as the Chief Magistrate Judge of the Northern District for three years
- In 2010, she was honored with the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association’s “Federal Jurist of the Year” award
- Known for professionalism and even-handed temperament, Judge James conducted thousands of settlement conferences as a Magistrate Judge and became highly regarded for her ability to settle disputes
- Previously, as a Family Law Commissioner, she had established a formal program of procedures for settlements
- Served as the Northern District’s ADR Magistrate Judge, where she was in charge of coordinating the alternative dispute resolution program with the Court
- Can contact Case Manager Joanna Barron: [email protected] or 415-577-3901
Nandor J. Vadas
ADR SERVICES, Inc.
Hon. Nandor Vadas
- Retired federal Magistrate Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- Presided over many civil actions and criminal pretrial matters in the counties of Del Norte, Lake, Humboldt, and Mendocino, while also presiding over cases in San Francisco and on the Hopland Indian Reservation in Mendocino County
- Thirteen years of experience on the bench, Judge Vadas has handled a wide variety of cases and settlement conferences involving matters of civil rights, employment issues, real estate, insurance issues, personal injury, the Americans with Disabilities Act, commercial litigation, and the Endangered Species Act
- Founded an early settlement program for civil rights cases brought by unrepresented prisoners, which has been applied in all state prisons in the Northern District of California and some prisons in the Eastern District of California as well
- Career was preceded by extensive trial experience as a Deputy District Attorney for a combined eleven years with the City and County of San Francisco and Humboldt County, and as a federal prosecutor for nine years in the United States Attorneys’ Office
- Can contact Case Manager Kathleen Emma: [email protected] or 415-577-3901
More Program Information
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Access to all training products for one year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.