Gain an understanding of how to engage in cryptocurrency and maintain state and federal compliance.
Cryptocurrencies are quickly becoming a core part of the financial mainstream, with institutional and retail investors building them into their portfolios. It is important to understand the structure and complexities of cryptocurrency, as well as the taxation and escheat implications associated. This topic will explain the intricacies of cryptocurrencies so you will be able to recognize both how cryptocurrencies work and the variety of crypto products. The material will also analyze the federal and state legislation and regulation requirements required for maintaining federal tax and escheat compliance.
- Counsel in Jones Day’s Chicago office
- Extensive experience in the areas of unclaimed property and state and local tax, including multistate tax analysis, audits, and litigation
- Provides a multifaceted approach to complex sales and income tax issues
- Has substantial knowledge in all aspects of voluntary disclosures and audit, having been previously employed in tax consulting, where she formulated calculations and oversaw remediations, and understands the numbers behind the legal issues at stake
- Representations include clients in oil and gas, manufacturing, telecom, card companies, hospitality, hospice care, and securities
- Highlights of her experience include negotiating "no-change" unclaimed property audits with the States of Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, and Massachusetts; a zero-assessment audit with the Illinois Department of Revenue; and a dismissal of a multimillion dollar qui tam litigation
- Frequent speaker on unclaimed property and is the 2020-2021 Unclaimed Property Professionals Organization (UPPO) secretary
- Can be contacted at 312-269-4057 or [email protected]
- Partner in Jones Day’s Dallas office
- Since 2016, he has advised clients on cryptocurrencies, blockchain technology, and fintech matters, including initial coin offerings (ICOs) and token issuances, money transmitter and virtual currency regulations, and litigation
- In 2018, he was appointed by Chief Judge Barbara Lynn, of the Northern District of Texas, to be the first-ever receiver in a Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) enforcement action involving an ICO promoter
- Co-editor and co-author of the book Blockchain for Business Lawyers and is a frequent speaker on legal issues related to blockchain technology
- Also has substantial experience with internal investigations and regulatory investigations involving the SEC, Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), Department of Justice (DOJ), and state securities regulators (including the Texas State Securities Board)
- Can be contacted at 214-969-4892 or [email protected]
- Provides commercial solutions to complex tax issues by taking creative and practical approaches to problem-solving
- Practice spans a broad range of areas, including corporate and international tax, M&A, and tax controversy
- Her practice has a particular emphasis on international tax planning, counseling, and compliance, as well as tax-efficient structuring for cross-border transactions and investments
- Has extensive experience helping clients address issues arising from foreign (inbound) investments into the United States and in the fintech and renewable energy sectors; in addition, she regularly advises clients on tax and structuring issues related to cryptocurrencies, NFTs (non-fungible tokens), and other digital assets
- Counseled public and private companies facing a wide variety of multijurisdictional tax issues, both internally and before the Internal Revenue Service; has helped clients obtain favorable private letter rulings and advance pricing agreements, resolve disputes at Appeals and in Competent Authority proceedings, and navigate complex tax treaty, transfer pricing, withholding, FIRPTA (Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act), anti-boycott, and U.S. tax reform issues
- Chair of the ABA Tax Section’s Committee on U.S. Activities of Foreigners & Tax Treaties (USAFTT) and a member of the ABA Tax Section’s task force on cryptocurrency; active member of the D.C. Bar and frequently speaks and publishes on a variety of tax topics; board member of the George Washington University-IRS International Annual Tax Institute and also serves on Jones Day’s Recruiting Committee
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.