Learn about fair use in copyright law and how to best advise your clients in a changing internet and advertising atmosphere.
This course is designed to provide practical counseling about fair use in federal copyright law. It should be of particular interest to lawyers advising and representing clients in the media, entertainment, advertising, and internet industries. Especially now, fair use is a hotly litigated topic due to the expanse of the internet and the easy accessibility to and copying of copyrighted materials. The courts have not resolved many issues in fair use law, as the Supreme Court rarely takes such cases and the circuits are split on many issues.
Rex S. Heinke
California Appellate Law Group LLP
- Attorney at California Appellate Law Group LLP
- Has extensive experience in copyright, trademark, right of publicity, cyber-space/Internet, defamation, invasion of privacy, advertising, high technology, media, and entertainment law matters
- Has been listed in Best Lawyers in America, Euromoney Publication’s Guide To The World’s Leading Experts In Trademark Law, the Los Angeles Business Journal’s Who’s Who In Law, and Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers
- Has litigated cases including Greenwich Workshop v. Timber Creations (copyright infringement by derivative works), New Kids On The Block v. News America Publishing (trademark/right of publicity), Carver v. Paramount Pictures (implied contract and copyright claims), Sega v. Accolade (reverse engineering of computer software), Los Angeles Times & Washington Post v. Free Republic (copyright infringement on the Internet), CurtCo Freedom Group v. Stereophile (trade dress in a magazine cover), and Newcombe v. Infogrames (right of publicity)
- Has lectured and written on these issues for a variety of groups, including the American Bar Association’s Intellectual Property Committee, the U.S.C. Entertainment Law Institute, the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Symposium, the Practising Law Institute, and the Duke and University of Oregon Law schools
- Author of Media Law published by BNA (a leading treatise on the legal problems of the media)
- Served as president of the Los Angeles Bar Association and the Los Angeles Copyright Society, and he has served as a member of the California Judicial Council and the Board of Governors of the California State Bar
- Years of litigation experience as an associate attorney at a large private firm
- Has given multiple CLE webinars on U.S. Supreme Court decisions, fair use, and copyright law
- J.D. degree, UCLA School of Law
- Can be contacted at 916-749-2568 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.