Learn about the different types of employee expenses, what needs to be reimbursed, and the legal issues that may arise.
In today's business environment, it is imperative to ensure the business is compliant with employee expenses. When an employee incurs expenses on behalf of your business, how should they be reimbursed and what qualifies as a reimbursable expense? It is a morale issue, an ethical issue, and has legal considerations. Under the federal law, it is required for employers to reimburse employees to ensure that any expenses incurred by them does not bring their take home pay below the cost of minimum wage, calculated as the net amount an employee collects after any costs they incur that are necessary for business. Failure to reimburse employees adequately can open your business to lawsuits and financial penalties under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). And there are state requirements that you will have to review as well. In topic, we will spend our time discussing the federal law and IRS code. This information will help you be able to find out what type of employee expenses there are and what needs to be reimbursed as well as the legal issues arising out of employee expenses.
Jackie A. Sexson
- Compliance manager with Fortune 250 company
- Former executive director with the legal and human resources consulting firm, The Sexson Group
- Extensive experience in employment and labor law, as well as human resources
- Has a legal and HR background in employee relations, performance management (360-degree feedback), organizational management, benefits administration, recruitment and selection, compensation, equal employment opportunity, and training and development
- Experience with the public sector, Fortune 500 companies, and small startup companies
- Held director and executive level positions, and worked as an independent consultant
- Certified as a senior professional in human resources by the Society for Human Resources Management
- J.D. and M.B.A. degrees
- Can be contacted at 303-513-6018 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.