Clinically significant depressive and anxiety disorders among older adults worsen health care outcomes, increase functional disability, decrease social functioning and quality of life, and are associated with premature mortality. Yet, all too often, depression and anxiety disorders are often unrecognized, untreated or poorly treated among older adults.
All too often, older adults may believe their symptoms to be a normal part of aging; providers of services to older adults may not have the knowledge and skills needed to recognize the signs and symptoms of depression or anxiety; and clinical providers may not be aware of the unique presentations of these conditions among older adults and what treatments are the most effective for this population. This slide deck will provide those working with older adults the knowledge they need to recognize the signs and symptoms of depression and anxiety in older adults, provide information about how to distinguish clinically significant symptoms, engage older adults to seek treatment and information about which treatments are likely to be the most beneficial for older adults who are struggling with depression or anxiety.
Lisa M. Furst, LMSW, MPH
Mental Health Association of New York City
- Director, Center for Policy, Advocacy and Education, Mental Health Association of New York City
- Director of Training and Technical Assistance, Geriatric Mental Health Alliance of New York
- Co-wrote, Depressed Older Adults: Education and Screening (Springer Publications, 2011)
- Provide mental health training and technical assistance services in aging services programs and other nonmental health systems
- Member of American Society on Aging (ASA) and American Public Health Association (APHA)
- M.S.W. degree, Hunter College School of Social Work; M.P.H. degree, CUNY School of Public Health
- Can be contacted at 212-614-6313 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.